Monday, September 29, 2008

In a Funk

Something's been going on in my groove thang lately, and I'm not referring to my previous post, I'm talking about my latest addiction to funk. It started when I watched the documentary Standing in the Shadows of Motown. For those of you who aren't up to snuff on your funkadelic history, the Funk Brothers were a group of studio musicians in Detroit in the 60's and early 70's who were responsible for a plethora of funkified hits, some of which ended up in the film that got white people dancing around the dinner table, The Big Chill.

Anyway, Jus' hang loose, blood. She gonna catch ya up on da' rebound on da' med side. Whoa, I'm not sure what that was, but let's face it the bruthas know how to play bass. When you're the bass player in a group of bruthas, you know you gots special chops, and James Jamerson provided much of the genius behind these hits. Shit man, that honky mus' be messin' my old lady... got to be runnin' cold upside down his head. Sorry, I don't know where that came from, but now that you've been edumacated, lets get back to my funkalicious addiction.
---
Now, I'm not going all Bootsy Collins and dressing in futuristic bright purple sequined jumpsuits and over-sized Elton John glasses, but I have been doing my best white man overbite while standing on my sub-woofer, much to Amy's embarrassment. Hey you can't spell embarrassing without bass and ass right? Am I right? High five! Low Five! Around the back, I want my money jack! A week after having my Funk Brothers cherry popped, I find myself once again going to the funkadubious well, and picking up some rump-bumping Sly and the mutha-fuckin' Family Stone. ---
---
Hey home, I can dig it. You know he ain't gonna lay no mo' big rap up on you man. Wow that just kind of erupted out of me, I think I must have Jive Tourettes Syndrome, and there's only one cure for JTS...MORE BASS! These two albums should keep me in a funkin' good mood for awhile, and if you want to get your moneymaker on the clock, I recommend these three collections:

The Funk Brothers - Standing in the Shadows of Motown
Various Artists - The Big Chill
Sly and the Family Stone - Greatest Hits


Cut me some slack, Jack! Chump don' want no help, chump don't GET da' help!

Please help cure Jive Tourettes Syndrome, because a kick ass bass line is a terrible thing to waste.

No comments: