Wednesday, September 3, 2008

School's Out Forever!

Every kid in America is going back to school this week and for me it is quite the opposite. My locker is cleaned out, I have water balloons ready to go, and I've signed everybody's yearbook. "Hey John we sure had some good times in chemistry class this year. What a long strange trip it's been. Stay cool this summer!" Now I am just waiting for the final bell to ring so that I can start singing Alice Cooper's Schools Out.

Friday is my last day, and with it comes a bitter-sweetness. I am excited to move on to the new gig, but there is also the sadness at leaving behind the people that I've worked with for over six years. It's almost like a break up, sure the new girlfriend is hot and you can't wait to rip her clothes off behind the Tastee-Freeze, but you don't have that history yet, like you did with your ex.

It is also reminiscent of my transition between high school and college. Most kids parents drop them off at college, after the obligatory trip to Target to stock up on food and school supplies. There are hugs and tearful goodbyes laced with assurances of success. I showed up at Tower A in Towson, alone in my brown Chevette with a box, a suitcase and a TV. I didn't know a soul and all of my roommates were from New York, while I was the quiet, hick-kid from bumfuck Pennsylvania. Talk about culture shock. I don't think I'd ever met a Jewish person before college, let alone Long Island Jews. Lots of money, nice cars and everyone talked like they were on the SNL skit Coffee Talk. "Hey Crawfud, oh my gawd, I'm going to da fuckin' lie-berry, if you want to go?" Then you had my strong Pittsburgh accent. "Rilly, Yinz are goin' dahn to da library-n-at. Cahnt me in!" After a year surrounded by these clowns, my accent was more New York than Pittsburgh and I was telling everyone, including my family, to go fuck themselves.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that change is difficult, but often necessary, and I have yet to meet a situation in which I couldn't adapt and be successful. So come the 15th I will show up at my new 'school' with a box, a suitcase and a TV and I'll say "Hey fuckers let's get it on!"

No comments: