Monday, July 7, 2008

I Think it was the Fourth of July

Hey, I heard you missed me. I'm back! I brought my pencil. Gimme something to write on. I'm fatter, sun burnt and I have a rocking case of liver cirrhosis, it was like I won the John Daly dream vacation sans teeing off of a tall boy.

No need to revisit my days of fun in the sun, let's get down to the business of the week. This Wednesday I am going to see the horniest band touring today, the incredibly mediocre 70's/80's group, Chicago. My company's marketing team is getting together for one last hurrah before many of us go our separate ways. Nothing says co-worker infused good times like watching drunken old white people playing air trumpet and trying not to break a hip while doing the bump.

In honor of the upcoming dancing to the oldies extravaganza, I've been putting the needle down on some dusty old tunes. As I started humming the familiar ditty Saturday in the Park it hit me what an aweful song this is lyrically. Just for fun let's break it down.

Saturday in the park
I think it was the fourth of july
Saturday in the park
I think it was the fourth of july

It sounds like he is really unsure of where he is, and what day it is, so he has to try and convince himself by muttering the opening lines twice. And you think it was the 4th of July, were you so stoned that you couldn't discern between real and imagined fireworks.

People dancing, people laughing
A man selling ice cream
Singing italian songs
Can you dig it (yes, I can)
And Ive been waiting such a long time
For saturday

Time for some keen observations, better get your notebook out so you won't forget any of these gems. All I have to say is man, those are some great fucking lyrics. When you put in the line "A man selling ice cream" you just blew my mind, then when you added "Singing Italian Songs" it was just perfection. I could actually picture the guy in my mind selling orange sherbet while singing "Arrivaderci Roma". Bob Dylan is rudimental compared to your poetic genius.
---
Just a point of clarification though, if you've been waiting such a long time for Saturday, then wouldn't you know if it were the fourth of July or not? Usually when I look forward to something I know the date of the impending event.

Another day in the park
I think it was the fourth of july
Another day in the park
I think it was the fourth of july

Here we go again. You're like Jimmy Two Times in Goodfellas. "I'm gonna go get the papers, get the papers".

People talking, really smiling
A man playing guitar
Singing for us all
Will you help him change the world
Can you dig it (yes, I can)
And Ive been waiting such a long time
For today

Really smiling? Not just sort of Mona Lisa pursing, but really giving the full-on toothy grin. That line has got to make the final version of the song, no two ways about it. Ok, I get it, some hippy dude in the park is jamming tunes, while his brethren play hacky-sack, smoke bowls and reek of patchouli. Not really something I would wait a long time to see, especially back in the early 70's. Please tell me you have a big finish for this song.
---
Slow motion riders fly the colors of the day
A bronze man still can tell stories his own way
Listen children all is not lost

Looks like you've heeded the advice of Mr. Leary and "turned on, tuned in and dropped out". I now understand why your lyrics suck, but LSD is not an excuse. Graham Nash went to Stone Henge on acid and comparing his song (Cathedral) to yours, is like comparing Hamlet to Hickory Dickory Dock.

Funny days in the park
Every days the fourth of july
Funny days in the park
Every days the fourth of july
All is not lost

I'm assuming you mean peculiar funny and not ha-ha funny, because a guy selling ice cream and a dude playing guitar aren't all that ha-ha funny, unless they were Emeril Lagasse and Stephen Lynch. Everyday is the not fourth of July unless you subscribe to the notion that everyday is the same when you're retarded. Which reminds me of an old joke: What's better than winning a gold medal at the Special Olympics? Not being retarded. Yes, I know they have a special VIP section in hell reserved for me. Let's get back to the lyrical utopia of Saturday in the Park.

People reaching, people touching
A real celebration
Waiting for us all
If we want it, really want it
Can you dig it (yes, I can)
And Ive been waiting such a long time
For the day

I know when I celebrate I always make sure to do a lot of reaching, but not so much touching. I did some celebratory touching a few years ago and it turned into this hassle involving lawyers, community service and registering on some sort of list. Reaching and juggling, that’s how I celebrate these days. If you see me with some chainsaws, bowling pins and machetes with outstretched arms you can be sure that I am in full on party boy mode.

I intended to write a detailed reflection of my holiday week, but dissecting Chicago lyrics just seemed like more fun. Now if I can only figure out what 25 or 6 to 4 means by Wednesday. Google here I come!
---

No comments: