Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Document This!

My brother turned me onto this site that streams documentary films for free, http://snagfilms.com/ not to be confused with http://stagfilms.com/. I don't read much anymore, so documentaries tend to fill that gap in my psyche that craves useless information about random topics. I'm "that guy" who often interjects into conversations with the line "Oh yeah, I saw a documentary on that."

Like last year there was that guy in Seattle who died from a ruptured colon, while fucking a horse. I actually watched a documentary called Zoo that discussed his association with a secret society of beastiality lovers. They would have parties and then guys would slip off into the barn to do their thing. Overall the documentary sucked, so I wouldn't recommend it, but I now have some useless knowledge about this society that is bouncing around my synapses. I can't do basic algebra anymore, but if you need details on Seattle horse fuckers, I'm your man.

Here is a list of my top 25 of all time. I left out some of the more popular titles, like the Michael Moore, Al Gore and Morgan Spurlock films because I'm sure you already know about those.
---
Top 25 (in no particular order)
1. American Movie
2. Sick
3. Be Here to Love Me: A Film About Townes Van Zandt
4. Bukowski: Born Into This
5. DiG!
6. Spellbound
7. Crumb
8. Easy Riders, Raging Bulls
9. Devil's Playground
10. Capturing the Friedmans
11. Be Good, Smile Pretty
12. Hearts of Darkness
13. The Fog of War
14. Word Wars
15. The Devil and Daniel Johnston
16. This Film is Not Yet Rated!
17. Wordplay
18. Stevie
19. The Flaming Lips - The Fearless Freaks
20. Enron - The Smartest Guys in the Room
21. Grizzly Man
22. Murderball
23. Rock School
24. Step Into Liquid
25. Jesus Camp

I'm not sure if all of these documentaries are on the site above, but they are all on Netflix. You can also catch a lot of these on the IFC and Sundance channels. Feed your heads children, feed your heads.

As a side note, and one of total embarassment, the first movie I rented from Netflix was Bring it On back in 2001. WTF? I must have been at home going, I really need to see the Toros and Clovers fight it out in the cheerleading arena, but not quite enough for me to head down to Blockbuster. I'm going to try this new Netflix service, so I can get my Kirsten Dunst fix without leaving the privacy of my own home. Holy shit, I just noticed the second movie I rented was The Virgin Suicides. A double dose of Dunst!!! Somebody please stick a plunger on my chest.


No comments: