Saturday, January 10, 2009

Scratch-n-Sniff

Third night at the hospital and Amy is home getting a much deserved break from the nurse parade. The saline bag runs out every couple of hours, diapers need changed, temperatures need taken and Maggie, Amy and I just deal with the inconvenience of it all. We know it needs to be done, but that doesn't make it any easier. We all long to be back in our normal routines, in our normal house and in our normal beds.

Maggie had her cyst drained today. If the infection clears up we should be able to head home on Monday, which is a bitter-sweet. We want to go home, but we know that the actual surgery will still be hanging over us until the infection clears and it is safe to complete the procedure.

I'd study up on the procedure and do it at home myself, (by "study up" I mean practice taking the apple out of "Cavity Sam's" neck in the game Operation), but the fact that I flooded the basement this week because I couldn't install a humidifier filter correctly on my furnace, speaks volumes about my Mr. fix-it skills. So on top of Maggie's pediatric soap opera. I also get to pull up the carpet in my basement and attempt to air it out, before it gets moldy and starts to smell like an old man's crusty taint.

Now, that I think about it, maybe I'll take some post-op pictures of Maggie's neck, and when she gets older I'll tell any boys that come sniffing around that she was born a boy and we had her undergo a trans-gender operation when she was two, because we always wanted a girl. "Son, come over here and check this out. This is where we had her Adam's Apple removed, and trust me you don't want me get out the rest of the pictures. Now, run along."

Speaking of running along, I need to head down to the geriatric unit to make sure that crusty old man taint does indeed smell like wet carpet. I wouldn't want you to think that I don't do my research. Scratch-n-sniff time!

No comments: