Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Music Helps Me Ease My Mind

I haven't done a music post in awhile, but there is some cool new stuff out there and so far it's been a solid summer. Before we get to the new shit, a quick blog formatting note:

Blog Formatting Note
I added a LastFM widget on the right hand side of the page. If you click on the "View Profile" button you can view a bunch of my music habits like, most played artists, most played songs, recently played songs etc... I also created a playlist in there with some of the stuff I've been listening to lately. In my LastFM profile there is a link called "Crawdaddye's Library" which creates a radio station based on what I play on my iPod/iTunes. If you get bored or want to check out some new stuff give it a spin. It's a sweet site that I've used for a couple of years, and I highly recommend it, especially if you are a music geek like me.

Now let's get to the latest joints yo!

Conor Oberst - Conor Oberst
This guy is a top 10 singer-songwriter in my book. You may know him better as the creative force behind Bright Eyes, and on his first solo effort he produces yet another stellar effort. Some may find his voice a little whiny, but I find it soulful.
Key Tracks: Danny Callahan, Get Well Cards, Milk Thistle

G. Love - Superhero Brother
Garrett AKA G. Love has been a staple in my collection for years and this is yet another solid release. Lemonade was a bit of a let down for me, so it's nice to see him return to form. G. Love is a mix of funky, groovy, ass-shaking music, for hipsters and hippies. He is pals with Jack Johnson, Mason Jennings and Ben Harper, so if you like their shit, then he'll be right up your alley.
Key Tracks: Peace Love and Happyness, Wontcha Come Home, City Livin'

Murder By Death - Red Tooth and Claw
Sadly, I discovered these guys because they had a background track on a Real World epsiode. The band name suggests a metal sound, but they are more like Johnny Cash on steroids. A heavy rockabily feel studded with a plethora of deep chords and underlying string arrangements. They don't really sound like anything else in my collection, which is refreshing.
Key Tracks: Coming Home, '52 Ford, Rumbrave

Cat Power - Jukebox
The jury is still out on Cat Power for me, but she gets a ton of love from the online indie crowd. This is a collection of covers that she broodingly manipulates to match her smoky backroom vocals. It's not an album I can listen to straight through, but when she comes on, her delivery stops everything in the room and takes you to a world of desperate loneliness.
Key Tracks: Song To Bobby, New York New York, Woman Left Lonely

Girl Talk - Feed the Animals
This Pittsburgh native is about to blow up after his much hyped Lollapalooza performance. He is a DJ that samples a ton of songs and mixes them into a single cohesive track. He really isn't my cup of tea, but it is fun to try and name all of the samples. Usually I would delete this stuff off the iPod immediately, but for whatever reason this album has hung round, and is actually growing on me.
Key Tracks: Shut the Club Down, Hands in the Air, No Pause

Beck - Modern Guilt
After going through a dark songwriting period of deep interspection, Beck is back to his old Odelay type self with another old school, throwback album. I am trying to like this release, but it just hasn't stuck in my craw yet.
Key Tracks: Gamma Ray, Walls, Orphans

There are a few big releases on the horizon:
Xavier Rudd (8/19)
Metallica (9/12)
Ben Folds (9/30)

enjoy!

No comments: