Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Top 10 Albums of 2008

Through the magic of iTunes I calculated that I worked my way through 52 albums this year (ranked below), and dabbled in several others. My music geek status is still in check, which makes my inner rock star stand up and…Shout! Shout! Shout at the devil!

My top 10 is ranked solely on the albums I enjoyed the most in 2008. I did not factor in album sales, number of plays, weeks on the charts, length of time in a certain playlist or any of that other bullshit that makes the lists in magazines a bunch of garbage.

This year’s list might be my most eclectic of all time and it features some ‘rock out with your cock out’ shredding guitars and ‘wuss out with your puss out’ Sunday morning chick music. I am not going to offer any analysis or key tracks, just the list. If you want more details let me know because I talk about music like pyromaniacs talk about fire. “All day all night, you feel, my heat. Feel, feel, feel, feel my heat”. (Give yourself 10 bonus points if you can name the movie that is from.)

1. The Raconteurs – Consolers of the Lonely
2. Vampire Weekend – Vampire Weekend
3. Metallica - Death Magnetic
4. Okkervil River - The Stand-Ins
5. Girl Talk – Feed the Animals
6. The Kooks – Konk
7. Hold Steady – Stay Positive
8. Conor Oberst – Conor Oberst
9. Tristan Prettyman – Hello
10.Mike Doughty – Golden Delicious

-------------------------------------------------
Cat Empire – So Many Nights
G. Love – Superhero Brother
The Fratellis – Here We Stand
Bill Burr – Why Do I Do This? (Comedy)
Old 97’s - Blame it on Gravity
Ray LaMontagne – Gossip in the Grain
Matt Costa – Unfamiliar Faces
Ryan Adams – Cardinology
Jack Johnson – Sleep in the Static
Airborne Toxic Event – Airborne Toxic Event
Death Cab For Cutie – Narrow Stairs
This is Ivy League – This is Ivy League
Ben Folds – Way To Normal
Kings of Leon – Only by the Night
The Killers – Day & Age
Murder by Death – Red of Tooth and Claw
Kimya Dawson – Alphabutt (Kids)
Amos Lee – Last Days at the Lodge
REM – Accelerate
Barenaked Ladies – Snacktime (Kids)
Bell X1 – Flock
Black Crowes – War Paint
Griffin House – Flying Upside Down
Sam Roberts – Love at the End of the World
Cat Power - Jukebox
Counting Crows – Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings
Mason Jennings – In the Ever
Donavon Frankenreiter – Pass it Around
JJ Grey and Mofro – Orange Blossoms
Coldplay – Viva la Vida
She and Him – Volume One
Flobots – Fight With Tools
Xavier Rudd – Dark Shades of Blue
The Whigs – Mission Control
Sia – Some People have real Problems
AC/DC – Black Ice
Weezer – Weezer (Red Album)
Michael Franti And Spearhead – All Rebel Rockers
Widespread Panic – Free Somehow
Lucinda Williams – Little Honey
Beck – Modern Guilt
Jason Mraz – We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things

No comments: