Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Rockin'and Rollin' and Whatnot...

Sorry for another music post, but unless you want me to drone on about the Penguins 3rd line or how shitty my NCAA bracket is this year, you are stuck with some tunage suggestions. The music is starting to roll in again and a bunch of good releases are on the horizon as well, so let's check out the new stuff...

Mike Doughty - Golden Delicious
The gravelly voiced singer-songwriter is back with another mix of instantly likeable ditties. This album is definitely more bacon than the pan can handle. He can do no wrong in my book. I'm really looking forward to seeing him on April 5th at the 930 club.
Key Tracks: Fort Hood, Put It Down, I Wrote a Song About Your Car

Jack Johnson - Sleep Through the Static
If you've heard one Jack Johnson album you've heard them all, but for whatever reason you can listen to his songs once and somehow know all the words. This album is just a continuation of his previous efforts.
Key Tracks: Sleep Through the Static, What You Thought You Need, Go On

Counting Crows - Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings
The same signature sound that you know and love is back, kind of like visiting an old friend. They separated the slow songs and heavy songs, well heavy for CC, thus the title of the album.
Key Tracks: You Can Count on Me, Come Around, When I Dream of Michelangelo

Cat Empire - So Many Nights
These guys are almost impossible to describe, but I'll try. Catchy, hooky, funky, soulful, fun, irresistably infectious. The type of songs that get stuck in your head for days.
Key Tracks: So Many Nights, Fishies, So Long

Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
I still don't know what I think about this album. White-boy-indie-college-reggae-rock vibe. They are generating a lot of underground buzz, so probably worth checking out to see if it's your taste.
Key Tracks: A-Punk, M79, Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa

Joe Purdy - Take My Blanket and Go
Mellow but memorable. This guy just has one of those haunting voices that makes you feel like you should be driving across West Texas in Cadillac convertible at 3:00 am. These tunes just punch you in your soul.
Key Tracks: Take My Blanket and Go, Good Days, You Should

Juno Soundtrack
If you liked the indie, quirky qualities of the movie, then the soundtrack will work for you as well. By the way if you want to see a different side of actress Ellen Page check out the flick "Hard Candy". It's on cable this month. She's certainly not the cute prego-teen chick in that film.
Key Tracks: Tire Swing, All I Want is You, Anyone Else but You

Into the Wild Soundtrack
I loved this movie and the soundtrack was perfection in the context of the film. Eddie Vedder should have won an Oscar for best song, but I can live with "Falling Slowly" from "Once" winning it.
Key Tracks: Society, Guaranteed, Hard Sun

New Release Alert! New Release Alert! New Release Alert!
The Raconteurs new album comes out today!!!

So those are the albums that have been added to my iPod lately. Check out the section to the right: "The Hit List" for a list of singles that stand out for me.

enjoy!

-e-

No comments: