Friday, February 15, 2008

Flying Under the Radar

I decided to make a list of 10 albums that I love, but most people don't own or even know about for that matter. We all have those gems that sit in our CD or MP3 collection, that you never see anywhere except maybe in the $1 bin at the used CD store. Wow, I really dated myself with that statement.

These days with easy access to MP3's, the full album is going the way of the dinosaur, as people are now buying songs not albums. I have mixed feeling about that, because I know I am missing out on some great tunes. Especially, since the radio hit often becomes my least favorite track on an album. I have to pause here for a second. I'm watching VH1"We are the 80's" and the Eddie and the Cruisers video just came on.

"Dark side's coming now nothing is real, she'll never know just how I feel. From out of a shadow she walks like a dream. Makes me feel crazy makes me feel so mean."

Most of you probably know, but the band behind Eddie and the Cruisers music was the John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band. I digress. Most of you won't run out and get these albums, but they are in my GF if you want to check them out.

10. Poe - Hello
I saw this chick open for 7 Mary 3 way back when and I still listen to her record long even though I shelved 7M3 a long time ago.
Money Tunes: Hello, That Day, Fly Away

9. The Shantee - Hydration
Nice collection of hooky tunes that compliment Mike Perkins infectious vocals. Perkins "Live and Solo" is awesome too, if you like this stuff check out that one.
Money Tunes: Rooftop, Outside, Happy Song

8. Fleming and John - Delusions of Grandeur
These guys were huge on the Nashville scene, but never really broke nationally. Fleming has an incredible set of pipes, and John is the musical mastermind.
Money Tunes: Love Songs, I'm Not Afraid, A Place Called Love

7. The Honeyrods - The Honeyrods
Another Nashville band that sputtered out, despite having a video on MTV for Love Bee. It does kind of have that dated mid-90's alt rock sound, but I love when their tunes randomly come on the iPod.
Money Tunes: Float, Soap Opera, Child

6. Marcy Playground - Marcy Playground
You all know about Sex & Candy, but did you know the rest of this album is fantastic? Well you do now!
Money Tunes: One More Suicide, Poppies, Dog and His Master

5. Cracker - The Golden Age
After the radio hit Low came out in 1993, these guys should have been huge, but for whatever reason they were never able to stay in the limelight. All they do is put out great album after great album, and I buy their stuff unconditionally because I know it will be amazing.
Money Tunes: Sweet Thistle Pie, Useless Stuff, How Can I Live Without You

4. Mike Errico - Tonight I Drink You All
My brother does his website and he hooked me up with the Lollapalooza gig in 2006. Thanks Mike! This live album is a great collection of his older tunes and really shows how much fun his live show can be.
Money Tunes: Daylight, When She Walks By, Happy

3. Pete Droge - Necktie Second
Amost 14 years old, but the music is timeless. You might remember "If You Don't Love Me I'll Kill Myself" from the Dumb and Dumber soundtrack, that's on here too, but not one of my favorite tunes from him. This effort is just fucking brilliant!
Money Tunes: Fourth of July, Two Stepping Monkey, Straylin Street

2. Josh Joplin - The Future that Was
Yeah, he sounds like Michael Stipe, but is that really a bad thing? This album has one of my favorite verses of all time: "Samuel, your son is quite a handful. His grades are bad, he can't do math, and he tends to ramble. Our tests show that he's a bit slow. If he receives the help he needs he'll ride the same bus"
Money Tunes: I am not the Only Cowboy, The Future that Was, Trampoline

1. Abbey Road - The Beatles
I don't know anyone who has this record, but everyone should. Just an amazing album.
Money Tunes: You're an Idiot, If you believe, This Album is Underrated



My Real #1
1. Soul Coughing - Ruby Vroom
This is the album that started it all for M. Doughty. I was lucky enough to see these guys live a few times back in the day and they never disappointed. This album is a staple in my collection and I never get tired of listening to these guys. By the way M. Doughty has a new solo album coming out next Tuesday, and his last solo album Haughty Melodic was absolutely fantastic. I just hope this one is 1/2 as good.
Money Tunes: Is Chicago - Is Not Chicago, Screenwriter's Blues, Moon Sammy


I probably could have made this list my top 50, but that would be way too self-indulgent and borderline maniacal. Yo! Mr. Doughty and the boys play us out of here...

Exits to freeways twisted like knots onthe fingers
jewels cleaving skin between breasts.
Your Cadillac breathes four hundred horses over blue lines
you are going to Reseda to make love to a model from Ohio
whose real name you don't know
you spin like the cadillac was overturning down a cliff on television
and the radio is on and the radioman is speaking
and the radioman says women were a curse
so men built Paramount studios and men built Columbia studios
and men built Los Angeles it is 5 am and you are listening to Los Angeles
And the radioman says it is a beautiful night out there!
And the radioman says Rock and Roll lives!
And the radioman says it is a beautiful night out there in Los Angeles
if you live in Los Angeles and you are going toReseda;
we are all in some way or another going toReseda somedayto die
and the radioman laughs because the radioman fucks a model too
Gone savage for teenagers with automatic weapons and boundless love
gone savage for teenagers who areaesthetically pleasing in other words fly
Los Angeles beckons the teenagers to come to her on buses;
Los Angeles loves, love it is 5 amand you are listening to Los Angeles
I am going toLos Angeles to built a screenplay about lovers who murder each other
I am going toLos Angeles to see my own name on a screen, five feet long and luminousas
the radioman says it is 5 am and the sun has charred the other side of the world
and come back to us and painted the smoke over our heads an imperial violet
it is 5 am and you are listening to Los Angeles.
You are listening.
You are listening.
You are listening.
You are listening.

1 comment:

Jason C said...

Trying to think of what I'd put in there...

I'd have to go with Ray Lamontagne - Trouble. More people really need to own that disc... Too mainstream? Hrmmm... Brett Dennen? Donavon Frankenreiter? Whiskeytown - Faithless Street? Everything by Townes Van Zandt... Josh Ritter...